Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring Break!


I've been pretty occupied with the itinerary mentioned prior, but since my last post was a little lacking of knitting, I've decided to spare you the details of how lovely Boston is (it's really lovely). Instead, I'll show off what I've been up to!Enter the Forest Canopy Shawl. This pattern = perfect for airplane/subway knitting because the pattern is so simple it can be easily memorized. In the end, this little number will be gifted to my fantastic mom (along with knitting [and every other crafty thing known to man], my mom has her own chain maille jewelry business! If you do click, disregard the ginormous picture of my face as well as the blinding glare off of my fake engagement ring. heh.)
The story of this shawl goes back all the way to January. My mom had bought 5 skeins of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino baby and, after a few failed attempts at finding a good scarf pattern for herself, she generously donated the yarn to me. Little did she know that I was going to be making her yarn into a shawl for her! Initially, it was going to be a secret, but (as I learned with Jamie's vest) it's too much hassle to hide a project from someone you live with. Production on said shawl came to a halt after knitting 7 repeats on needles that were too small. Ugh. It is officially the largest gauge swatch I've ever made. I switched to size 8's (much better) and knitting commenced!

Now, let's check out the shawl's view out of the Harvard "dorm" windows!Do you see that stately looking brick building? Is it a library? A science center? Admissions? a bank? A museum? It's more student housing. Stunning.

Turning our heads, we have yet ANOTHER view!If you can bring your eye past the extensive courtyard (seriously), you'll be able to see the scenic Charles River!

9 comments:

Julia said...

I love your "bridal hair" on your Mum's website. You must love her dearly.

Sarah said...

Spring break? What's that? GRRR jealous! Enjoy the architecture while you can (I did at William & Mary, SECOND oldest college :) - before long you'll find yourself in a windowless office with too many florescent lights. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

The Dollars said...

Ohhh!!! That would have been soooo embarrassing if you'd shown up in costume! Cool pictures of Harvard, though!

P.S. Our entire city looks like your campus picture after it rains, which seems to be pretty frequent here in the sunshine state!

Anonymous said...

You look so pretty in that picture!

I totally agree that Harvard is gorgeous. I went to school at Boston U, which is much more urban, and I loved it whenever we went over to Harvard!

St. Patrick's Day is a total experience in Boston... I hope you are having a blast today!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a yummy cosy shawl that will be in the cashmerino. You'll have to let me know how many balls it takes because I have some in black that I'd quite like to use for a Forest Canopy.

Dove Knits said...

Our dorms were riot-proof. I'm sure that someone from my freshman year hall is still wandering the halls, lost.

Pretty shawl! Pretty picture of you, too

iwouldratherbeknitting said...

Love the shawl.. I'll have to check into the pattern- I have some yarn that will look good in it too.. someday.. someday.. (too many projects that I want to do!)

It's been awhile since I was in college.. but, my view the ONE YEAR that I lived in the dorm? A parking lot! Yep, an exciting parking lot. Woo hoo! I didn't even have a car so, I couldn't even look out to make sure it was still in the parking lot and unscathed. :D

Rafael said...

you can see the door to my room in the first picture out of sheli's window!!!!

Dorm Bedding said...

This shawl is darling...simple, but so sweet :)