Monday, March 10, 2008

Not quite Miss Kinkos

I got home from work around 1am and, as per usual, I couldn't get to sleep. After dealing with my sporadic sleeping habits over the past year or so, I've learned that the worst thing I can possibly do is to lay [awake] in bed wanting to go to sleep. Instead, I need to do something productive! Who cares if it's 3:45 am! It's all the more reason to tackle my unfinished projects since there won't be any of those pesky distractions (like other people) that are usually lurking during the day.

These tags are just a little something to personalize a gift one step further. They're also the ideal option for baby garments.

But wait--it wasn't really that easy, was it...?

Of course not.

For your comic relief, I've captured my mistakes and will share them openly.

FIRST Try: I put the paper in upside down, but more importantly, the rounded rectangle I had added to the backside of the card was out of alignment. Goodbye rounded rectangle!
SECOND Try: I decided to try a darker (more sophisticated) yellow than the first time and instead got a decidedly un-classy highlighter/popcorn yellow. Oh, and my margins got reset to default after all of my careful measuring...round 3 shall we?
THIRD Try: I opted for an aqua blue since my eyes were still burning from the first two tries. A little too dark, but what's this? Success! This run is looking good... now just to print the back! Oh no...
FOURTH (and final) Try:color? adjusted.
Margins? set.
Paper? right side up.
Planets? Aligned.
Product? 30 cards wasted, but 10 cards: SUCCESS!
Lessons learned? I should go to sleep.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The worst part about doing that at 3:45 AM is that you can't scream. Or you can, if you're looking for new roommates!

Becca said...

Haaaa haaaa haaa! I ALWAYS have the same issues with my printer when printing out business cards and labels!! Feel happy that you aren't the only one with those problems! I think if you added up all of the cards that got trashed because of the stupid printer, I think I wouldn't have to buy any for a few years.

LizKnits said...

Well despite the trauma, the final product looks great! Some lucky giftees are going to be very happy.

Susan said...

They came out really nice. Good job, even if it took a lot of tries.

Sarah said...

They look very classy! I was just laying awake the other night and thought, "I should just get up and do something," instead of wasting time not sleeping. But of course I didn't. Good for you for actually doing something about it!

Yarndude said...

Those look so good! I would never have thought to make a little card like that, but it's such a good idea. Now I just need to start knitting for other people...

rachel iufer said...

the final 10 cards are brilliant and SO stinkin' adorable. custom cards are now on my list of must-haves. thanks. i blame you completely.

LOVED the mess-up shots. they make the rest of us feel normal.

The Dollars said...

Those look great! What a good idea! I think it always takes that many tries when coordinating that kind of printing. The key is to print a lot when you get the hang of it to make up for all the ones that get messed up.

Anonymous said...

Soooo classy! I want to do some now.

Anonymous said...

The end product is awesome, even if 30 innocent cards were lost in the making! ;)

amanda said...

Very nice cards! I also really love your Goodwill finds in the other post - awesome dress!

Anonymous said...

Your personalized business card design looks great. Check out LizzPrints (www.hp.com/blogs/lizzprints) for a versatile alternative business card printing option that works.

Dorm Bedding said...

These are so pretty! Love the template you used :)