Thursday, June 19, 2008

I get by

with a little help from my friends.

One fun thing about blogging is that you instantly become part of a worldwide community of fellow bloggers and readers. When a blog is about a topic as specific as knitting, it's common to find lots of fun, kind-hearted people who share the same passions you do. Often these friendships stay as casual as leaving an occasional comment on a blog and having that person eventually return the favor. Other blogging friendships, one way or another, lead to actual friendship (gasp!). That was the case with Michael.

*ahem*

Fast forward to this afternoon. I came home from work to find an internationally shipped package waiting for me. Inside? A gorgeous hand-knit shawl, a flawless pair of socks addressed to my mom, and yummy looking regional chocolates for us to munch on. What a guy. So without further ado, I introduce you to the pinnacle of inter-blogging generosity. No, scratch that- just generosity in general. Meet Laminaria


as well as the Hedgerow Socks
I still can't believe I have these gorgeous items in my possession, but now that they're here, I couldn't love them more. I think it's true that a fellow knitter appreciates a gifted item more because we know how much time, care, and diligence went into each piece. I can't stress enough how thoughtful this is, and despite him not being crazy about gifts, I plan to pay him back royally somehow.
Thank you, friend!

18 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Stunning! That color is fabulous on you too! What a very thoughtful and generous gift!! Michael sounds like not only a very good friend but he is one talented knitter!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Two more patterns to add to my rav. favorites. What a great surprise for you!

Gudrun Johnston said...

I was literally just admiring this shawl (for the umpteenth time) on Ravelry....this version is gorgeous....what an incredibly thoughtful person....and lucky you!

Anonymous said...

You lucky, lucky girl! What a lovely thing to do. Now I just need to go and find myself a 'Michael'

Michael said...

I recommend having creamsicles with those socks. I'm glad everything arrived and I do hope you (and your dear mama) like it all.

the Lady said...

Wow, that's so cool! I need a Michael!

Knitterella said...

Wow what thoughtful and generous gifts. That shawl is gorgeous and looks beautiful on you - love your dress too! Great socks - and a free pattern - thanks for the link I must 'mark as a fav' on Ravelry.

Michael is a beautiful knitter!

Yarndude said...

I don't think there is anything better to find in the mail the hand-knit gifts. I can't decide whether yarn would be equally exciting or a close second...

amanda said...

Wow! How kind of Michael. I am going to have to check out his work. Enjoy the shawl - it is simply gorgeous.

carlita dee said...

Girl, this is a win-win situation!

That shawl is perfection.

lizzzknits said...

How lucky you are to have a friend in Michael. We should all be so lucky. Also loved your photos of the new puppy. Reminded me of my long gone Bruno, who was 8 lbs of fluff when we brought him home and grew into 100+ pounds of love and energy. Enjoy and hang tight!!!!!

Agnes said...

The shawl is beautiful! And you are so lovely in the pictures! :)

LizKnits said...

Wow those are some terrific gifts. Great job Michael!

Anonymous said...

It came! I can't wait to see it in real life! I'm assuming we're all going to get to touch and "oh and ah" over it at knitting tomorrow night.

Kara said...

He just GAVE them to you? I don't know how some knitters can be so generous with their handknits. They and he are just lovely!

Catherine said...

That shawl is GORGEOUS. What a color! What a thoughtful, wonderful present.

Ibunnysavetroy said...

how nice and sweet! It's a lovely color for you! and orange!

Dorm Bedding said...

Wow, he's such a sweetie!